Sunday 22 May 2011

CAS-ual LIM Blingy Butterfly Sketch...

So yesterday, I had this idea to use a new embossing folder to create another entry into this weeks LIM challenge which is all about butterflies.  The folder is called "flutterby" so was a perfect choice, but I wanted to try to add colour to it.  It turns out, that this is a technique which although looks simple, really, really isn't - and here are 4 of my disasters to prove it! 

 
At first I tried to put ink into the depressions, wiping off any that got on the flat bit of the folder, thereby leaving the background white (well lemon pearl in this case) and just having the embossing coloured.  Too much ink to wipe off, meant I wiped it all off nearly and what was left was too wet - hence - a disaster (top right)!  So I thought, ink the sticky up bits and have debossed colour - that had to be more simple and effective - er no - top left.  Right, just emboss without ink, and then use an ink duster to "gently" rub the colour over the embossing once finished - apparently I wasn't gentle enough (bottom left).  Perhaps a brayer over the flat bits to colour the background then and have white embossing?  Better but still not quite good enough and this (bottom right) was my second attempt at the same technique.  At this point, I gave up on fancy ink techniques, embossed the lemon pearl as normal and coloured the embossing with copics - technique fine - colouring rubbish!!!!  Anyhow - I made it into a damn card anyway as I was fed up with my reject pile and here it is (I kept seeing the bottom as corn - hence the overuse of yellow!)


So, I needed a better picture to load into the LIM gallery.  I remembered a sketch challenge I wanted to play in over at Annabelle stamps http://annabellestamps.blogspot.com/2011/04/absc037.html so I used this as the basis for another entry.  I used another butterfly embossing folder (I think I have more of these than any one crafter could ever need!) and layered it up to fit the sketch, adding a there she goes sentiment, some ribbon and a dufex butterfly.  The dots in the sketch became gems, which also makes it a second entry for this weeks CAS-ual Friday blingy challenge - 3 in 1 - much better than my earlier disasters.


That's it for me and crafting this week - I'm going to spend my time tidying up the mess I made instead of making any more messes!!!

Craftilicious x

20 comments:

  1. oohh ,, I have had a few disasters inking the folders too ! now the most I do afterwards is either spray with glimmer mist or add glitter :-) I do like your coloured one though, it has a nice summery feel to it :-)
    I love the butterfly embossing folder on your 2nd one too ,, gorgeous :-)

    luv
    Lols x x x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I`ve never tried inking up my EF. Don`t think I`ll bother now, sounds like a lot of faffing to me.I don`t do faffing lol.Yours, however,after all your hard work, looks fabulous so maybe it is worth the effort.
    Lynne xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh dear, sorry you have mess to clear away Tara!
    I've said it so many times but I really am not a fan of colouring embossing. having said that the one you did with Copics [The corn one!!] is extremely neat and eye catching
    i love your last entry!
    Thank you as always
    Diva LIM mandi
    Less is More

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tara you certainly have been a busy lady, your cards are beautiful...your post really made me smile we all have days when crafting goes wrong...well they are just happy accidents aren't they??

    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  5. So frustrating when techniques don't cooperate. I really love that embossed butterfly panel-I'm such a texture junky and embossing just makes me happy! Lovely card-love the layout of it and the perfect amount of sparkle :) Thanks for playing with us again at CAS-ual Fridays!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tricky effect but your finished cards are both splendid

    KAthyk

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad you didn't give up! Maybe you could consider the first cards as "modern art"! Although I think that embossing folder could stand alone without any color...I do like the one you colored with Copics...very bright and cheerful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm happy to see that you didn't give up either as I think you're final card is divine! Thank you for playing along with us at CAS-ual Fridays!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful cards! The embossing on all of them just stunning!
    Thanks for sharing your cards with us this week :)
    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like embossing folders both white and coloured but it can be a bit trial and error! Your coloured version ended up looking gorgeous so it was worth all the hassle - and I love the butterfly in the second card. Vx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love that embossing folder but have never managed the colouring technique either. Good bit of recycling XOXO Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well worth all the hard work but most of all thanks for showing me how difficult it is to colour the embossing folder cards. Tried it a few times and just thought it was me having blonde or senior moments lol...

    Beautifully coloured card in the end and worth all your efforts:-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh dear I do commiserate with you over the ones that went wrong, I have had similar 'learning curves' Well done for sticking to it and making a good card. I usually end up chopping the other up and using them as backgrounds or layers on other cards where the mistakes don't show through - i make sure these are the ones I stick down really well, haha.Lol. So no one can take them apart and see underneath. Sue x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow pretty creation.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very pretty! Thanks for playing along with us at CAS-ual Fridays!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love this card!
    Stacey at 8
    X

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful work!
    Thanks for playing at CAS-ual Fridays!
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  18. I like how your butterfly background mimics your butterfly accent. Thank you for playing along at CAS-ual Fridays.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting today - your comments are appreciated :-)

Blogging tips