Tuesday 26 July 2011

Birthday cards

July is a birthday heavy month in our household, so I've been busy making birthday cards but couldn't blog them until after the birthdays are over.  There are still a couple more later this week so I can't share those yet, but I can now share my husbands and one I made for our friends little boy who turned 6 last Friday.  All 3 cards feature snippets so I'm entering them into Jule's snippet challenge for this week.  I'm sharing some of my snippet storage below too so if you fancy a nose around my very messy craftroom, keep reading....


This was for the 6 year old - using a PTI set on black.  The red rocket is a snippet taken from the divider from a DCWV card set - I really can't throw anything away!!!  I'm also going to enter this into the get funky and craft challenge which is "boys, boys boys" - so highly appropriate for this little card!


I printed the sentiment inside on white paper (using starshine font) and cut with a nestie.


My husband loves photography so when I saw this teddybo digi my problems of what card to make him were solved!  I coloured him with pencils and copics and added some glitter for the flash and glaze for the lense.  The black strip and happy birthday border are from more snippets.

I am a bit of a paper addict, and do have ALOT of it - and I have a lot of poorly co-ordinated storage solutions for it at the moment as I am trying to get it all organised.  The two 3 drawers on the left have 6x6 pads - the bottom 3 drawers in the silver drawers have 12x12 pads.

 
The blue drawers in this photo have all my A4 card, papers and decoupage sheets.  (I have another 3 sets of these drawers at the other side of the room, not photographed) which have all my glitter and metalic card stock, thin strips for borders and vellums.  The pink drawers have my small cards and envelopes and a few ribbons.


However, I have a BIG problem - I find it VERY hard to actually use any of my papers in case I use them up and can't buy them again......  So unlike lots of you who play along with Jule's challenge each week, I find I use my "snippets" on most of my cards as I keep my snippet stash right at the side of my desk and I use anything I find in there BEFORE I look at cutting a precious full sheet of paper.  I do have a couple of files on my desk with 6x6 co-ordination sheets in and I do use those alot, but other papers generally sit in a drawer, untouched, but certainly not unloved!!!  So these are my snippet drawers - I don't have space to store them by colour, so I store my by size - the bottom drawer has the biggest sheets, the top the medium and the middle is FULL of tiny bits I just have to hold onto, just in case!


I'll show you the full on afters when its finished but there may be a view "durings" the organiation process too.

Right time to stop waffling, and go and make tea!

Craftilicious x

7 comments:

  1. Wow Tara you have been busy. Two fabby makes, the rocket is super and perfect for a little boy. Love your hubby`s card too, very clever detail on the camera. You are very organised in your craft room. No biscuit tins and icecream tubs for you lol.
    Lynne xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow .. .. what a lovely post.

    I loved looking around your craft space and seeing how you store your snippets.

    It was interesting that you store yours by size and not colour.

    I might have a lot of snippets in my craft space but I don't actually have many paper stacks. It feels like a real treat when I use one of these.

    I once made some cards for someone and they wanted me to make quite a few more the same for them ... ... but I couldn't get any more of the paper I had used.

    This was when I started using downloads and CD's as it meant I could just print off more papers as and when I need them.

    I will enjoy watching your craft space change.

    Your two snippet cards are gorgeous too. I have seen the photography bear as a plain image but not seen him coloured before. You have made him look great and I bet your husband loved it.

    Thank you for sharing your craft space and your lovely cards.

    Love Jules xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic cards and great pictures of your craft area.

    Hugs, Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love seeing all your storage. I am looking for a solution for my snippets and must say as they are closer to me than full sheets I always check them first, makes me wonder how they keep multiplying lol.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ace cards, I especially like the red rocket one!

    I'm impressed by how organised you are - I have 2 shoe-boxes overflowing with snippets, and a 4-drawer chest jammed with papers that I stroke instead of using! I'm not going to buy anything else until it's all gone! (well, maybe.....)

    luv, Mags x

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great look round your work space - you should join in with WOYWW (Whats on your workdesk Wednesday) where people from all over the world show their crafty spaces and what they've been working on.

    I don't generally buy paper - unless I buy plain 12x12 - but I do buy and use digital for the same reason as Jules - its on hand as long as you have ink in your printer - so you'll never run out of your favourite papers.

    I've seen some of the bigger designers make their papers available digitally now which is great and obviously saves on shipping costs.

    Anyway, think of all the money you've got tied up in those papers you aren't using - get them used and buy more funky hand CD's then you've got fantastic colours and designs on hand all the time!

    Paula. x x x

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting today - your comments are appreciated :-)

Blogging tips