Tuesday 22 January 2013

Monopoly memories

My best friend from school turns 40 this week and I wanted to make her a special card - it may look a little odd to those who don't know us but for me and Sarah it really is the perfect card to sum up our childhood - all that's missing is a couple of stains - from chocolate biscuits and coke :-)


The inside of the card reads "we're not really getting old - we just have 40 years worth of memories" and I hope this is as good a one for Sarah as it is for me.

This is also the first card I've made in my attempt to try and complete all 75 76 challenges in the Paper Crafts recent 75 Creative Card Challenges special edition magazine which is currently winging it's way across the ocean to me.  I really liked the idea of this issue and thought attempting all the challenges would be a fun way to start 2013.  I have created a new tab on my blog where I will link up every challenge as I complete it - it may take me a little while....   You can see the full list of challenges there too - some are quite interesting sounding but I need to see more details before I attempt them.  This one was number 75 on the list - "Make a Game Inspired Card" and I don't think there can be much of an argument on this inspiration here!  It was our favourite game as kids - we had our own rules (we actually should have turned into bankers - we'd have fit right in with all the dodgy mortgages we dished out) and there was always a battle about who got the purple properties and just how many hotels we built there!

To make the card I printed some miniature versions of monopoly money and cut them to make a border.  I cut Mayfair from white card on my cameo and stuck it to a strip of purple to indicate our favoured property.  I cut the house and hotel border on my cameo too, and the GO and arrow, all in white, but the coloured them appropriately with copics.  The hat - always my preferred counter (I do hope its not one the manufacturers decide to cut in favour of a "more modern counter" this year) is an inkadinkado stamp which I embossed in silver to make it look more like the counter.  I also stamped it several times in black and cut them all out and stacked them up to give it more dimension.  The 40 was another element cut on my cameo, and then embossed in 2 coats of silver ep.  I finished with a few dotted lines to indicate movement around the board.

A game based card also seems like a good one to enter into the snippets playground - I've been MIA for ages to hope I can still bag a swing.  http://pixiescraftyworkshop.blogspot.co.uk/2013/01/pixies-crafty-snippets-week-56.html   The purple card was my snippet for this one.

It's a very personal card, and won't be to everyone's taste, but it is absolutely my favourite original card I've ever designed and was lots of fun to make.

4 comments:

  1. It's fabulous!! So clever to think of this theme. My Dad was always the banker when we played Monopoly - and strangely enough he always won :(

    Good to see you in the Playground, hugs, Di xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very clever. Making a card that means so much to the recipient is the BEST thing about being able to make your own cards.

    Yep . . . there's still a swing left . . .come and play . . .

    Hugs
    Sarn xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Being married to a monopoly fanatic I know he would love this card, can I ask where you got the mini money. Hugs, Amanda x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your card is fabulous and what a brilliant idea. I am sure it will be well received.
    luv
    irene
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting today - your comments are appreciated :-)

Blogging tips