Tuesday 22 January 2013

La Blackboard Francais

Ok, so I don't know the French for Blackboard, but if you say it with a French accent just like allo allo, then obviously you'll be understood but you must say it only wunz!   So enough with the 80s TV references and back to the card making.  The blackboard references all came about from this little challenge that the Head Mouse herself set over on the Waltzingmouse blog yesterday http://waltzingmouse.blogspot.co.uk/2013/01/monday-morning-make-technique-challenge.html to try out the blackboard technique that is popping up all over the internet.

I'd seen it before, but wasn't really sure it was for me - I was blackboard monitor at school and hated when I found a blackboard that hadn't been properly cleaned so the idea of deliberately smearing the pristinely stamped black card was a little difficult for me to get my head around.  However, I do love all things from the House of Mouse so I decided to jump in feet first, swim the channel to Paris and this is what I created:


I used the Eiffel Tower and the bracket swirl from Paris Nouveau and a couple of appropriately French sentiments from Compact Sentiments - stamped and embossed in detail white and then shadow stamped again using brilliance moonlight white ink.  I die cut using a large nestie and emphasised the embossed edge with a white pencil.  I added a few pink highlights around the images with a bright pink pencil and then very tentatively rubbed around the edges and under the words with a tissue and the white ink.  I mounted onto some love heart paper and mounted that onto black using a reverse corner rounder on both and added some contrasting dotted paper and ribbon in the middle.

The whole process was actually a lot less painful and much more enjoyable than I'd feared so thanks for forcing me into scary territory Claire!



15 comments:

  1. LOL, Tara, you coped admirably!! This is a treasure, I love the pink highlights and the way you framed it in the label shape - it really looks authentic - you did us proud!!! Thank you so much for playing along with me!!! ps, I hated smudged blackboards too!! lol!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely! I love the sentiments that you chose and the tilt that you gave to them. And the perfect frame - love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are a perfect "blackboard monitor"-- even they have to have fun at times!! Those flourishes and sentiments are perfect with the Eiffel Tower!! Worse than a smudge was a nail moving across the board (IMHO anyway!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your story had me smiling - I had a little trouble added the messy smudging too! You done good girl! I love this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think smudging agrees with you...
    this is a fabulously gorgeous take on this technique!! :)
    Love the touch of pink...
    so French!
    And your story had me laughing but you forgot one thing...
    you also have to talk really LOUD!!!
    It's the only way to talk in a foreign language that you don't know! *giggle*

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lol… cute post ! Beautiful card… I am loving the pink with this technique.. . Love the stamp you chose for this and it worked perfectly! Loving your heart paper choice too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely card Tara love the stamps and your colours...

    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  8. You created a beautiful card with this blackboard technique. I get why this was difficult to jump in...esp. with having monitored so many in the past. LOL. The touches of pink really tie in that paper~so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautiful Parisian Board!! Love the pink highlights! And I so get not wanting to smear the black. I had to force myself to add the smudges. Almost painful!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh la, la! tres jolie Tara! Love the nestie framing of the tower and the sweet heart paper!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Tara

    This is a very pretty card! The Eiffel Tower and the sentiments are so pretty in the chalkboard technique and it looks great how you added depth by shadow stamping everything. And I think the pink is a great addition to the black board.

    By the way, thanks for your comment on my blog. However, I did not quite understand what you meant by "paperpiecing paired with the chalk board" as I did not paperpiece anything.

    Kind regards
    Carola

    ReplyDelete
  12. WHAT a cool set to choose for this technique! I love the way you used the flourishes stamped in tight with the Eiffel Tower, so gorgeous! Think pink details really take this one over the top. The Compact sentiments you chose are so perfect with this technique and your theme...awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Think pink details....heee! I think I meant to type "the"...oui!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You made me smile with your post! You overcame the neatness thing! This is absolutely gorgeous. I love the soft hint of pink on your chalkboard.

    ReplyDelete
  15. ooh lala, très bien! This technique looks fantastic with these images.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting today - your comments are appreciated :-)

Blogging tips