Monday 5 September 2011

Autumn trees

I am still in the process of tidying up my craft room (lifelong project I think!) but I wanted something in which to store my copic refills (I only have a couple to date as I've only had my copics 18 months and only needed to refill E00 and Blender so far) but instead of just bunging them in a box, I decide to be more creative, recycle something and make into something altogether more beautiful.

I started with an empty cardboard biscuit tin I saved from last Christmas, and cut into two pieces - it has a fixed metal bottom so will be strong enough for the copic bottles.  To decorate it, I was inspired by the Waltzingmouse Sketch Challenge this week, and by the card designed by Chrissie Stokes in this months Craft Stamper magazine to do something Autumnal so used my (current) favourite WM stamp set, Tiny Trees, combined with DP in hues to match Chrissie's clever inking (I'm not that brave with ink!)


First I covered the whole of the tube with a kraft paper base, measured gaps for the double mounted strips of paper and stuck them around the tube with strong adhesive tape.  I stamped the tree branches directly onto the dp on the tube, and stamped the tree shapes in blended inks onto kraft cardstock.  I added the branches over the top again and added a few leaves and cut the trees out and edged each one with gold ink.  I finished it off with a few fallen leaves using the same ink colours from the trees to pull it all together.

I am also entering this project into the following challenges:

Secret Saturday Challenge  Autumn Colours
Stamptacular Sunday Challenge   Anything Goes - The Sky's The Limit

I still have the other half of the tube, so I may do another in Winter colours to store something else!


Don't forget - we have a fabulous set of Waltzingmouse stamps as our prize this month over on our charity card making challenge blog in aid of St Luke's Hospice - so if you want to get your hands on some new stamps, check us out here http://stlukescharitycardschallenge.blogspot.com/

Catch you later
Craftilicious x

17 comments:

  1. ACK, this is such a sweet idea! I just love how you made your own Copic Holder...definitely cuter than anything from a store! Such a charming little autumn scene that you created. Fantastic creativity for this week's Waltzingmouse sketch challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a super creative idea! I love that stamp set and you really created a masterpiece for this challenge. I bet this one is a winner!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a creative way to use this sketch. I love the colors what a bonus that it has a purpose as well. Thank you for joining us at Stamptacular Sunday Challenges.
    Jo xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks fabulous Tara and I'm genuinely flattered that you gained inspiration from my work!
    I love the shading on those trees. It's a fabulous project and one you'll enjoy using for a long time.
    Chrissie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Managed to play this month Tara!

    What a great project! I love your take on that sketch! Must tidy up my room too..groan...

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great idea Tara....and lovley inking on your tress....


    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so beautiful. Fabulous warm colors and I love how you did these trees.
    Thank you so much for joining us at Stamptacular Sunday Challenge this week.
    Hugs Marianne DT

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely project, love those trees xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a FABULOUS take on the sketch - Super creative and so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. A beautiful storage idea Tara .. .. and I love how you have decorated it very much.

    Don't you just love the colours of Autumn? (though I am not quite ready for Summer to end just yet).

    Love Jules xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh wow this is one stunning creation , fabulous contemporary candle votive , its just perfect for our challenge this week,

    Thank You for taking part at Secret Crafter Saturday Challenge: 150 Colours Of Autumn

    I hope you join us again next week,

    I have some new calorie free candy if you are interested
    Good luck with the challenge,
    Hugs Bridget :0) x.
    SCSC DT

    ReplyDelete
  12. Tara - this is brilliant!! Love the teeny trees and falling leaves - perfect for this time of year :) So nice to make your own storage stuff - it's fab!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a lovely repurposed container! Love the colors and your sweet trees!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is beautiful!! Love your warm rich colors, and fab trees!

    ReplyDelete
  15. WOW!!! I love this! Fantastic idea!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a great idea to recycle the biscuit tube, and you came up with such a gorgeous storage container. Love it.
    Hugs
    Carol x

    ReplyDelete
  17. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting today - your comments are appreciated :-)

Blogging tips