Tuesday 7 May 2013

Watercolour wings

This is my 3rd attempt at making this little piece of art - I had to experiment with different watercolour papers until I found one that was smooth enough to bring out the detail of the swallowtail when embossed, but also thick enough to take the water for my luminarte paints.


I actually ended up using the back of the watercolour paper but the embossing still sank into a little more than I wanted but all the lovely detailed lines are still showing.  I then used shades of purples, pink, orange and yellow luminarte shimmer watercolours on the swallowtail and once that was dry I used the lovely soft blue called "northern lights" to create a background that gently faded away the further you get away form the butterfly.  Rather than making this into a card, I wanted to frame it, so I went with a sentiment that was everyday but uplifting.

I am going to enter it into the following challenges:

Moxie Fab's watercolour challenge - http://www.moxiefabworld.com/2013/04/the-wonder-of-watercolor-challenge.html

and Make it Mondays anything that flies challenge - http://mimchallegeblog.blogspot.co.uk/2013/05/anything-that-flies.html

and the Gift challenge Kath is running to celebrate the Special Edition of Paper Crafts "350 Cards and Gifts" http://www.moxiefabworld.com/2013/05/350-cards-gifts-week-gift-challenge.html

9 comments:

  1. WOW! You have coloured your swallowtail beautifully, Tara. Such lovely words, too x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely STUNNING, Tara! LOVE this gorgeous image and I think this is a perfect gift! Thanks for joining us at MMM! :)

    PS: I've got a DT call on at a new challenge I'm starting called House of Cards. If you'd like, it would be great for you to apply! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. S T U N N I N G!!!! This is so beautiful - I love the colours you've used and that wonderful sentiment! So nice to see it framed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is wonderful, thanks for sharing with us at Make My Monday this week,
    Rosie x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stunning colouring, a beaThutiful project. Thanks for sharing with us at Make My Monday. Caz DT

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is just stunning Tara! The colours are so vibrant and I love how natural the frame looks as it really highlights the butterfly. I must have a go at some framed art...love it! :)
    Lizy xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. This butterfly really looks fabulous in a frame and I love the 'off edge' positioning too. Trying to work out all the best paper types to use is a nightmare isn't it, especially when you have conflicting techniques !!
    Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Tara! Thanks for linking this up to the Wonder of Watercolor Challenge in the Moxie Fab World! I'm so glad you joined in on all the fun! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Tara! Thanks also for linking this up to the Gift Challenge in the Moxie Fab World! I'm so glad you joined in on all the fun there as well! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting today - your comments are appreciated :-)

Blogging tips