Monday, 24 January 2011

Home is where the heart is

My friend got the keys to her new house last week, so decided to have a housewarming party this weekend while it was still empty and before any work is done on it.  I made her a housewarming card, naturally, but also make her a little welcome banner and altered a photo frame as a gift.

The card is a kraft base, with small rectangles of paper in two patterns layered in patchwork quilt effect - I distressed the edges with distress inks in weathered wood and brushed corduroy.  The stamp is a hero arts wooden stamp, coloured with copics.  I wanted to show some brickwork, so I used a pale background and then chose a similar colour one shade darker and simply used the chisel end of the marker to make brick like shapes (you can see on the larger version if you click the image)

The sentiment is one I printed off on the computer.  I added some ribbon to the left and used my fabulous new favourite tool - Bazzil Jewel Template - to add the lovely swirls of gems to the right.


I am entering the card into the following challenges:

Wild Orchid Challenge - let's get sentimental

That's Krafty Thursday over at The Spotted Chick


I also made her some housewarming gifts - a welcome banner - very simply made with pages from a K&Company 6x6 stack cut into a banner shape, leaving the salvage on to fold over behind to secure the ribbon.  The letters were cut on my cricut, from the Cindy Loo cartridge, with a tree and a flower from the From The Nest cartridge.  I used a decorative border punch on the first and last flags to add a decorative edge, but left the others plain.


I found this photo frame at The Range and thought it would be great to decorate as a gift.  It was just plain white, but I forgot to do a before shot and can't find it online to link to (I bought it from a store).  I dabbed over a couple of layers of paint with a Ranger paint dabber in off white to soften the background, and provide a key for the ink to stick to.   I then used a Crafty Individuals stamp in a random pattern allover with 3 shades of Ranger Distress Inks (Bundled Sage, Crushed Olive and Forrest Moss).   I used a smaller flower stamp also to fill in any areas which looked a bit sparse in the same colours.


I added a couple of the butterfly elements from the stamp after with a momento pearlescent ivy ink for a little more definition.  I layered up some flowers in matching colours and added a Martha punched leaf behind.  I finished it off by dabbing the edges with a pebble coloured paint dabber to give it a shabby distressed finish.

2 comments:

  1. What beautiful house warming gifts. I bet your friend was delighted! Warmest wishes, Lesley

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, everybody needs a friend like YOU!! This is FANTASTIC and I LOVE how you decorated the frame! How thoughtful of you to do this for your friend! I'm sure she was thrilled. Love your card and that little house image is so cute! Thanks for playing along in my That's Krafty Thursday challenge! {{{hen hugs}}}

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting today - your comments are appreciated :-)

Blogging tips